Sunday, August 19, 2012

My Singer


























How many objects have you carried with you throughout your life? This Singer sewing machine has been with me my entire 62 years. My mom made my baby clothes on it; then school clothes, prom dresses, and my wedding dress. She used it for countless curtains, slipcovers, tablecloths and pillow tops. I learned to sew on this machine. After I married, Mom gave me the Singer and I continued sewing for myself and our home. I wish it had an odometer. I'd love to know how many miles it has stitched over the years. I don't sew much anymore. My Singer is tucked in its original sturdy black case. Occasionally I pull it out for a mending job. When I open the case, I'm greeted with the familiar smell of electric motor and fabric lint mixed with a lifetime of memories.

"My Singer", 24"x18", oil on board, Sold

1 comment:

  1. I love how you painted the folds of the classy It is very elegant and classy.

    ReplyDelete