Wednesday, August 19, 2015

High-key Paintings

After working on a few paintings with dark backgrounds, I'm ready to switch to a high-key palette. With high-key paintings the emphasis is less on dark and light values and more on bright color relationships. I tried to make "Lemons & Daffodils" as bright as I could. The darkest values are the mid-tones.


"Lemons & Daffodils"
 16" x 20", oil on linen panel

























"Memories of Sicily"
 18" x 14", oil on linen panel


























While bright, the next two paintings rely more on dark values.


"Breakfast Still Life"
 20" x 16", oil on linen panel, SOLD



























"Meadow Bouquet"
 16" x 12", oil on linen panel, SOLD























1 comment:

  1. Your "Lemons & Daffodils" looks incredible and so vibrant. I can't imagine what it looks like in person.

    Anyway, I'm a big fan. Can I say though that as a sporadic, self-taught painter myself (actually I'm a working stiff), I find your paintings somewhere between inspiring and disheartening. I'm like the guy who throws his only guitar off a bridge after seeing Hendrix play. :-)

    You're paintings are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete